Sunday, November 17, 2013

Thanksgiving Memories of Irene Mousley

Most of my Thanksgiving memories have faded away—so long ago.  I just remember the joy of beautiful autumn days, tables heavy with good food, cousins, aunts and uncles all there to share the day.  When I said I couldn't eat another bite (I was sort of shrimpy and my family would always urge me on) someone suggested that if I were to run/circle the house a few times maybe I could eat a little more which I tried with little success. 

I recall singing “Over the River”….and other Thanksgiving songs.  We sang a lot in those days wherever we went, always group singing which I loved.

But, here is a precious little song that Mother taught me and I sang as a girl on and around Thanksgiving.  It is quaint, violent but with a moral.  Lori and I will be singing it this month and smiling. 

Fourteen little turkeys, on a roost one night,
Grumbled at their supper which was very light.
Along there came a farmer, with his axe in hand
And he chopped the heads of from the turkey band.
Said one little turkey, just before he died,
“We could have been much happier if we’d only tried.”


By (Myrtle) Irene Mousley, daughter of Nathan Cram Tenney and Myrtle Payne

No comments:

Post a Comment